Stand-Up Comedy 101
Comedy Class Syllabus:
- Learn the basics of stand-up comedy in a structured class setting
- Mold topics into an original routine through a weekly on-stage performance workshop
- Translate your ideas into a crafted act through proper joke structure and editing techniques
- Experiment with elements of improv and acting to create a unique and organic performance
- Hone your joke-crafting skills with a focus on writing content
Comedy Classes Include:
- Seven three-hour-long comedy class sessions at Helium Comedy Club, Saturdays or Sundays from 1 to 4PM
- A Graduation Showcase at Helium at 8PM on the Wednesday immediately following the final class session (schedule permitting) in which participants perform for an audience of friends and family in a supportive, positive, and controlled environment
Upcoming Class Dates
- Sunday Class: 4/29, 5/6, 5/13 , 5/20, 5/27, 6/3, 6/10
March Session: (SOLD OUT)
- Saturday Class: 3/17, 3/24, 3/31, 4/7, 4/14, 4/21, 4/28, 5/9
February Session: (SOLD OUT)
- Sunday Class: 2/18, 2/25, 3/4, 3/11, 3/18, 3/25, 4/8, 4/11
About the Instructors:
Alex Falcone has been doing comedy professionally since 2008. He's appeared on the IFC show Portlandia and performed at The Brooklyn Comedy Festival, The Bridgetown Comedy Festival, Bumbershoot in Seattle, Sketchfest in San Francisco, and many more. He was named a comedy act to watch by the Portland Monthly in 2014 and one of the Willamette Week's Funniest 5 in 2015. Alex has been teaching writing and standup comedy to everybody from absolute beginners to seasoned performers since 2012. His students have consistently placed in the top of the Portland's Funniest Person contest.
Alex teaches both introductory and advanced stand-up comedy classes at Helium Comedy Club.
Caitlin Weierhauser is a member of the wildly popular Lez Stand Up series, host of the Mercury’s I, Anonymous Show, and was voted Portland’s Funniest Person 2017—but there’s so much more to this whip-smart comedian. Swerving from the personal to the political, Caitlin’s stand-up gets sharper and more pointed by the day, and her mastery of face-mugging physical comedy is something you don’t want to miss. She has been co-teaching with Alex Falcone.
Caitlin teaches both introductory and advanced stand-up comedy classes at Helium Comedy Club